Sunday 15 April 2012

How to Learn - reflections on a piece of work

Look back at a piece of work you have produced so far:

Alcoholic from an objective angle -

  1. What did you set out to achieve?  to shoot a short film from a high angle of a man who is an alcoholic
  2. How can you identify what you achieved? it's quite hard to objectively view whether the film works or not, though I can see it is a vast improvement on my earlier film. 
  3. Did you achieve it? I struggled to keep the high angle consistent throughout the film, and having watched Vagg311's low angle film of his alcoholic I felt that in fact a low angle might have worked better - the threat being internal to the character rather than external to the situation. I found that mine ended up being comic rather than tragic.
  4. What did you learn from this? consistency of angle is important. high angle can produce unexpected reactions (!) When I was editing, I found it worked better to cut the scene more than I had expected. The pan across was a little slow.
Further questions:
  1. Is it better to struggle and improve your weaker areas or should you cut your losses and focus on your strengths?  I find that I tend to focus on my weaker areas, and whilst I do think it's important to pay attention to these, I would like to be able to identify and focus on my strengths. By knowing my strengths I will be able to carve out a 'filmic voice', and know what sort of films I like and am able to make.
  2. How can you ever really know what your strengths and weaknesses are? Critical input from others is extremely useful, and subsequent reflection to assess whether that input is appropriate. This is, for me, a very good way of learning. Honesty from others is v. important.
  3. How do you know what you need to know if you don't know what it is yet? By practicing, it is quite easy to see what works and what doesn't. Practice practice practice!
  4. Who can you ask and where can you find out? Watch films, ask others on the course, tutor, and read up about it
  5. How do you know if you have improved? When is it time to move on? By reflection, and by looking back at previous work. By assessing what you intended against what you have achieved. It's time to move on sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment