Thursday 8 March 2012

Exercise 2. Building a story from 'The Response' by William Goscombe Joyn

In this exercise we were asked to choose a picture, then identify a series of smaller frames within the picture, to create a new story.

I was in Newcastle a few weeks ago and found this monument  - The Response - by William Goscombe John. It's a huge monument, and has lots of soldiers going off to war, saying goodbye to their families etc. I decided to use this as the basis of my exercise and took pictures framing individual parts of the 'story'.


I played around with the order of the pictures. At first I focused on the various individuals' stories of that day as the men were going to war.
Then I realised that it was just the beginning of a story rather than a narrative that follows through to an end.

So I linked the people to each other, and allowed the scenes to move on in time. The first three pictures, therefore, are from the day they leave for war, and pictures 4 and 5 are after the first battle.

The main character is probably Frank who doesn't go to war, but is called up at the end. It is Frank who I would want the viewers to identify with. I'm not sure, therefore, whether Frank, ought to be at the start in picture 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment