Sunday 11 March 2012

Exercise 3 - Visualisation. Reflections.

After doing this exercise, and looking at other students' work for this exercise, there are various things that I've noticed about using the subjective frame.

  • close up subjective frames feel more intense, and help to put the viewer in the frame. They appear to give more of a sense of the character's emotions, and, by creating a connection between the viewer and the character,  maybe they allow for greater empathy in the viewer?
  • In terms of atmosphere and tension, I find that the subjective frames, with a fairly close up shot of the character but with something happening in the background are especially effective. For example in my visualisation 1 with the man talking close up and with the shopper in the background, this seems to add tension, likewise in Visualisation 3 with the woman entering the room in the background. I'm not exactly sure why these add a sense of tension - is it because the main character in the shot is unaware of what is going on behind them? ie we have the intensity of the subjective viewpoint but with an incident happening behind them.
  • I found the door opening sequence the hardest, possibly because in my visualisation I hadn't explored much more than the door before the man opened it! Looking at other students work, I like the way they look around at the garden or at the glass in the window etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment